Project Researcher (assessment and monitoring report on press freedom issues in Indonesia)
(Hybrid & Flexible working settings)
Indonesia’s NGOs Coalition for International Human Rights Advocacy or HRWG, with a safe journalism consortium, has a program to strengthen an effective mechanism to promote press freedom and protect journalists from any kind of violence in Indonesia. One of the activities is having an assessment of the existing complaints handling mechanism at national and international level. This particular assessment is trying to fill the gaps between the existing legal frameworks, procedures and their implementation.
A researcher is needed to work with the team and develop an assessment tool to measure the effectiveness of the existing complaints handling mechanism in both national and international level. The assessment aims to strengthen existing mechanisms at national level, such as with a Press Council (Dewan Pers) and how to engage with the existing international human rights mechanism, such as a special procedures or individual report. Moreover, a researcher should work with NHRI (Komnas HAM), Police Department, Ministry of Information, journalists, organizations or individuals who work to provide legal assistance and advocacy to press freedom and the safety of journalists.
- Assess the existing complaints handling mechanism in national and international in dealing with journalism dispute and violation against journalists;
- Work closely with relevant stakeholders who advocate freedom of the press and those who provide legal assistance to journalists.
- Data collection;
Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience and skills in writing and develop report for publication;
- Having an understanding in human rights advocacy both in national and international level;
- Experience working in NGO and get involved with press freedom issues and advocacy for at least 5 years;
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
|Call for applicants||15 April – 25 April 2022|
|Interview||25 April – 27 April 2022|
|Inception Meeting: presentation to the project;||28 April 2022|
|FGD on the assessment and annual monitoring report (update and collect data)||16 May 2022|
|Writing Workshop||23 May – 24 May 2022|
|Drafting the outline and structure of the assessment and monitoring report||1 June 2022|
|First draft||13 June 2022|
|Second draft||20 June 2022|
|Final Draft||27 June 2022|
|Launching||7 July 2022|
How to apply:
Send CV with a short introduction letter outlining relevant skills and experiences to firstname.lastname@example.org cc ichaalysa04gmail.com, by 27 April 2022. Applicants are encouraged to submit a writing sample in English.
For more information, download here.